home

Excerpts from the Fairhaven Star

August 8, 1885

Horace S. Crowell, of Boston, owner of West Island, the harbor and the land Commissioners, with other gentlemen went from New Bedford in the steam yacht Marguerite, Friday 20th to visit West Island for the purpose of considering the feasibility of connecting it by a bridge with the mainland at Sconticut Neck, a distance of about a quarter mile.

Mr. Crowell proposes ultimately to convert the island into a summer resort and yacht rendezvous. It comprises over 800 acres. The trip was a very pleasant one, and the gentlemen thoroughly enjoyed the sail, scenery and the hospitality oThere were a few interesting articles regarding this proposal. Eventually a group of investors gathered and steamed over to the Island with a yacht. They anchored the yacht in the bay off the present causeway and made land at the stone pier, remnants which can still be seen near Hunter's beach, north of the causeway.

Supplies were brought in and they stayed for a day or two. All were impressed with the scenic beauty of the Island but the overwhelming mosquito population was such a negative factor the project never proceeded. Nine years later a mosquito erradication effort was begun.

August 15, 1885

A curious old Indian deed on parchment, dated 1666, signed by King Phillip of Mount Hope, and counter signed by governor Thomas Hinckley and his secretary, Samuel Sprague, conveying the island of Makatan, now known as West Island, in Buzzard’s Bay, about six miles from New Bedford, may be seen at the offices of Horace S. Crowell, 27 State St., Boston.

This article is a little misleading. The deed actually was for the entire land of Westport to Mattapoisett.

June 5,1886

West Island is to be connected to the telephone exchange

Amazing but true! The caretaker's house at the top of the hill had a telephone! In an old photo accompanying the development of West Island in 1946 telephone poles can bee seen.

Dec. 5, 1903

W. H. Chase of Dedham has taken charge of West Island and Captain Besse has gone to his farm on Sconticut Neck.

May 1, 1909

West Island marches are being ditched and drained in an effort to rid that section of mosquitoes. A force of nine men is engaged in the work and it’s expected that the operations will take about 4 weeks.

April 10, 1925

Reports of a wrecked aeroplane on West Island have gained strength on Sconticut Neck of late. Several residents claim to have seen it at a distance, saying it has been dismantled and that it’s frame may be seen through field glasses.

The opinion is held that the aeroplane had been used by rumrunners in landing their illicit cargo from rum row and that it is for this reason that nothing further has definitely been learned, about it.